First Presbyterian Church is an historic and attentive congregation.
Our story began on November 25, 1845 when the First Congregational Church of Schoolcraft was formed. A few years later, in 1849, the Church became the First Presbyterian Church.
The original sanctuary was built on the Commons at the corner of Clay and Centre Streets in 1850–a site that became part of Burch Park. In 1891, it was noted in the church records that the Church was crowded. A discussion was held about building a new church on the lot where the parsonage stood at the corner of Cass and Cedar Streets. The sanctuary built at that corner in 1892 remains in use today.
In 1957, the congregation expanded by opening Westminster Hall, a multipurpose building. Westminster has been the location of lifelong faith formation, early childhood education, community groups, scout meetings, and life celebrations.
First Presbyterian Church has established ministries that continue to serve our neighbors. The Church founded the Schoolcraft Community Co-Op Preschool. It also initiated the development of Cedar Park Senior Housing. Members of the congregation developed, and continue to manage, the Eagles Nest Food Pantry. The congregation also adds beauty and and encouragement to celebrate the birth of Christ by implementing the well-known Christmas Eve Luminary display in the Village.
Members of First Presbyterian Church are rich toward God by dedicating their time and resources in ways that strengthen the lives of individuals and the local community.